"I read a book one day, and my whole life was changed." - opening line of The New Life, by Orhan Pamuk

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE by Jonathan Lethem

I stumbled on Fortress of Solitude by accident and it made me a lifelong fan of Jonathan Lethem. It is without a doubt one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. It had a profound effect on me when I read it. It's the story of two friends, one black and one white, coming of age in an economically depressed environment in New York. It's an incredibly tragic tale but one told with great creativity. Parts of the book are positively magical realist in style. The title harkens to Superman's safe haven and superhero comicbook culture is a recurring theme and symbol in the book. It is indeed a transcendent experience reading this book - my favorite by Lethem among a number of great books by him. He is acknowledged to be one of the most gifted of contemporary novelists, and has a significant following. I highly recommend the book.

Click here to read a review of the book from NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/21/books/when-dylan-met-mingus.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

No comments:

Post a Comment